Sunday, December 1, 2013

Olivia Beard Weekly Post #15




This week's blog I decided to look into photography similar to ideas I like to take pictures of. I found out about John Gossage and his book of photography called The Pond. The book first display photographs of landscapes of trees, a pond, and foliage; then it displays how this pond is in a neighborhood/ civilization of some kind. I like this because he captures natures true beauty and things that people probably don't seem to notice or even take the time to look at. With my final project/ portfolio, I aim to do show these commonly unnoticed details in areas on the edge of industry and civilization.

When looking at Gossage's work, though the photographs may be in black and white, I still see a great image with so much to look at and appreciate. In his photographs, Gossage displays some sign of human encounter in the environment. The black and white contrasts help draw one's attention to the whole image and not always just one specific focal point. everything in the image flows with one another. Gossage uses both deep and shallow depths of fields in his images to create some attention to something important, however, his backgrounds are still important to the image and brings the image together. I like his style and the things he pays attention to. I love the idea of seeing something in a different way and being able to understand and look at something that sometimes others don't always notice.  I also love how ironic it can be when you look at a landscape image and probably think it was taken in the middle of the woods, country, etc., when in actuality, it was really taken next to a busy street or industrial plant. 





No comments:

Post a Comment