Sunday, August 30, 2015

Joey Scolieri - Weekly Artist Post 3

Dash Snow





1) Dash Snow took these photographs with a Polaroid camera. He used the photographs as a way to document the sex, drug and alcohol fueled nights that made up the Nihilistic lifestyle he was living.   

2) I believe Dash Snows intent from this series was to show the public an alternative lifestyle to the one they are accustomed to seeing. The central focus of the first and third photographs are on drug use and the aftermath of partying to hard. The third photograph almost romanticizes the use of cocaine by making the heart out of cocaine and then placing their initials inside. Since his Polaroid camera served as his memories of the night before and the central theme of the series is drug use, I can see how Dash Snow died of a drug overdose at just 27 years old. 

3) Although I can't personally relate to the theme throughout the series I still enjoyed looking through the photographs and seeing how some people choose to live their lives. I was really drawn in to the second photograph. The allure of the girl and the way the sun fades out the photograph reminded me of all the perfect summer days I spent on a beach.





No comments:

Post a Comment