Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 9







Juno Calypso was born in 1989 in London, where she currently lives and works in as well. She received her Bachelor's in Photography in 2012 and has won 4 awards since obtaining her degree. She has also been in a couple solo exhibitions in London, but is usually in group exhibitions all over the world.

Juno Calypso has created a series of self portraits in which she stages herself as a fiction character named Joyce. Each scene gives off a sense of uneasiness and sadness. A majority of her photographs have an 80s vibe to them, as she includes objects that were primarily used during that time. The scenes themselves also give off an 80s vibe as well, which to me, is caused by the light pink color repeatedly appearing almost everywhere in each photograph. I feel that she is communicating with the issues of femininity in her Joyce series.

Personally, I find her work somewhat uncomfortable to look at, but at the same time I think that they're beautiful shots. I didn't know that these were self-portraits until I read more about her on her website and to me, that adds to the quality of the work. I love the way she plays with perspective and framing. The repeated use of the mirrors I feel adds to her feminine theme because of the idea that women need to spend hours in front of a mirror in order to be what society deems acceptable.




No comments:

Post a Comment