Saturday, March 19, 2016

Hailey Porth Weekly Post

Doug Rickard

please watch this interview. Full of incredible knowledge and reference to so artists.
http://www.americansuburbx.com/2011/06/asx-tv-doug-rickard-a-new-american-picture-2011.html


















Doug Rickard takes the excuse away from all people complaining about not having the money to go to the places they want to photograph. One day when he wasn't able to go to the places he wanted to go shoot he was sitting around and playing around with Google street view and started to come across amazing shots taken.

He started to look at all the different cameras used and then proceed to seek out the best color and compositions that he could find. Recently I have done blog post, I can't remember if it was this class or photo but Walker Evans did a series of shot taken out of the car and I have been so inspired by both of these artist together! Might I add that Rickard got in the Armory Show for these?! Simply amazing.

I love these photographs they remind me of walker, bresson, documentary, and film. I love the colors that are so natural and the people in their environments. It's so incredibly interesting to me that it has become so natural to people to see cars with huge camera's hooked to the top. Not in all cases but a lot people will just act normal now when they see it. Which is unlike it when we take our cameras out and ask to take peoples pictures.

These photographs also help me realize if there is a will there is a way. Rickard did not let circumstances stop him from going out and attempting to get what he wanted. It might not have been exactly what he was hoping for but he got somewhere completely new and exciting along the way. I posted Rickard in this class specifically because some of his photographs do remind me of what he have seen in our pinholes and also give me kind of a glimpse of what i am hoping the film turns out to look like too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment