Sunday, April 3, 2016

Bri Picone - Weekly Post 11

Robert Stivers





1)  Robert Stivers is known for his ghostly, theatrical imagery that he achieves by using darkroom techniques.  He shoots with a hasselblad medium format camera and works with gelatin silver and platinum prints. His negatives are sharp.  He throws his images out of focus in the darkroom.  Stivers is concerned with the process of creating prints and sometimes he doesn't even use negatives. 

2)  Stivers photos contain a moodiness, some are charged with emotion while others are not.  All of his images are created using a distortion of the negative, such as a blurry effect.  No two prints of his are the same.  His images are reminiscent of classical tropes such as nudes, texture, sculpture and architecture.

3)  I can see myself a bit in Stivers work.  I really enjoy how he distorts the negatives to create unique images.  I love his experimental approach and I think the resulting images are captivating and mysterious.  I love the blurriness of the first photo and the detail in the second photo.  I also really love the exaggeration of  form and motion in the third photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment