Sunday, April 3, 2016

Carra Roots- Weekly Blog Post

Nue Gurel








First seeing this work, I didn’t know what to feel first. Was it the obvious fact that the heads did not belong no their body or the way I felt looking at someone now created to look like me. That to me became uncomfortable. When it comes to my own body of work, my subject can go many ways but this gave me more inspiration on body image. 

In this series, artist Nue Gurel plays with the Photoshop that magazines already do and goes in the opposite direction. She goes through this process of building up magazine pages and layers of oil paint. The task she takes on not only trying to send a message about body image but also working within an already constructed image. The layers of pain add to the colors she uses. Nue also has to keep in mind what part of the photographed body she wants to keep shown. 

From her work I will take on a message of pushing boundaries as well as another level of appropriation. I feel as though she gave us great variety, and inspired many. I want my work to do that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment