Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ashly Mollienido's Weekly Post #10




     Sally Mann is a photographer who was born and currently lives in our own state of Virginia. She has received many rewards and grants, and her art work is represented in some galleries in New York. Sally Mann's photography are mostly of black and white images and they are shown in a darker, grungier style. Her choice to have them in these set styles, not only gives her own artwork personality, it also allows the viewer to better understand the statements she may be giving through her artwork.



     While looking through her images, I noticed in some of her shots that portray a more sexual, gender based setting, she deprives the viewer of what they would fully see if she would have chosen to do a different composition. This reminded me of one of my images I had for our most recent fear project, and the decision to cut out some of the nudity to give the viewer a more sense of desire, and maybe more questioning on that certain image. So, looking through her pieces it gave me some ideas for maybe how I could execute some compostions differently. The images I chose to include in my blog are just some of the photos that Mann deprives the viewer of a fuller view.




No comments:

Post a Comment