Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 1.2






Horizons: a conversation with Sze Tsung Leong
“On a perceptual level, the horizon represents the farthest we can see. On a cognitive level, the horizon marks the limit of what we know, a line that weaves vision and knowledge together.” — Sze Tsung Leong “Uncertain Distances,” in Horizons
 Sze Tsung Leong chose to do distant landscape shots. He found interesting horizon lines that shows a great depth of field. His use of colored photographs I think benefit this series. The color is perfectly balanced, not distracting away from the scene. When looking at the skies in each photo, it seems that he must have had a the shutter open for a long time in order to get movement. When looking at his work, I can't help but think of the photographer, Timothy O'Sullivan. Both Leong and Sullivan are known for their large scale shots.

 Upon reading the article under this group of photographs, it describes what Leong's intention was: to show a contrast of extremes. The above quote by Leong is really what helped me put together my own meaning/theme. He refers to each horizon line as "a line that weaves vision and knowledge together." To him, the line represents two completely different things, but because they are connected at the horizon, they weave together. I'm not even sure if what I'm saying actually making sense. I just reread what I typed and honestly can't figure out any other way to say it... To me, I understand what Leong is trying to do with these photographs, but I am unable to put down in words what I get from his work.

I am so in love with Sze Tsung Leong's shots. To someone else, they may seem boring and lacking, but to me whenever I look at them I am amazed at the depth and clarity of each photograph. In particular, I love the shots he got where the color of the land and sky are almost exactly the same. In these shots he has random subjects that stand out because of their color. I think the way he chose what to include in his photographs was very well thought out and makes his work incredibly strong in my opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment