Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 1.3






Andreas Gursky does large-scale photographs, shot from an elevated perspective. I've read that he often digitally manipulates things such as color, scale and and detail in order to make his work stronger. However, I don't think that this is the case with all of his shots. I feel that color plays a large role in his large scale shots. It isn't distracting away from the scene itself. Usually what he manipulates in his work are objects that could be seen as distracting.

His intent, I think, with these large scale photographs is to show how small we as individuals really are. He shows how much our environment really surrounds us and consumes us. He shows us how we look from a perspective that individuals rarely see. His large amount of detail in each shot adds to his unique style. There are certainly not many photographers who could quite achieve the amount of detail while large scale, like Gursky can.

I have always admired Andreas Gursky's work. I find large-scale images extremely interesting to look at. For me, when looking at one of his photographs a second time, there is always something new that I hadn't noticed before. That's what I love about large-scale work. I think he does an excellent job showing us how our world looks from a bold perspective.


No comments:

Post a Comment