Sunday, January 17, 2016

Mollie Schaidt- Weekly Artist Post 1 of 3

Philip- Lorca diCorcia






1. The photos I have chosen are from a series by Philip- Lorca diCorcia called, Hustlers. The artist was not so worried about technique because most of the subjects in his images are in the middle of the frame. The artist used a camera with ground glass; which makes the scene appear upside down.

2. Philip- Lorca diCorcia concept with Hustlers is based on the lives of male homosexual prostitutes. He sought out to capture the subjects vulnerability, and show the harsh reality of the transaction that took place to create these images. Also by entertaining these images us too have taken part of the transaction that took place. The artist wanted to show reality and fantasy of the lives that the subjects live.

3. The choices of images that I selected were because of the message I thought they conveyed. The first image has the subject in front of a Del Taco drive thru sign; which displays a metaphor to what the subject does for a living. In regards to his value of himself through quick and cheap gratification like what a drive thru is-- somewhere to go to get a cheap and quick meal.   The second image of a African American male I thought looks into the homophobia in African American culture. Also that image made me think of the recent sex scandal Bill Cosby is currently involved in; which I thought made the image even more interesting in topic. The last image I thought was weird because I didn't think of sex when I first viewed it. The image gave me a sense of fear, but a welcomed fear. What I mean by a welcomed fear is that the door is wide open like the subject is expecting someone, or anyone is welcome. The spot lighting on the subject is what gave me the sense of uneasiness like something bad is about to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment