Sunday, January 24, 2016

Hailey Porth Post 2

Wolfgang Tillman

If we like painting with light so much and its something we want to pursue because we enjoy doing it, why not do it? I know in class we talked much about how painting with light is kind of the cliche of todays photography and no doubt about it it does look really cool. But as photographers how do we distinguish ourselves from everyone else who is doing that?

As I was reading through some articles Wolfgang Tillmans work of "Abstract Pictures" came up. I was suddenly reminded of painting with light when looking at the photographs. However his blobs of color is done during the day time. You can see that by looking at the sky its bright blue and not black and the lighting in the pictures seems to be natural.

The colors jump off the page and the composition of them keeps your eyes locked into the rows and rows of detailed swirls. I share this because I am baffled at how he did this. But I am also encouraged because for many of us we keep talking about how since everyone can pick up a decent camera these days it makes it seem like it makes everyone a "photographer". But this series showed me that even though everyone can take pictures now, not everyone can push the limits of the camera and challenge the culture. Real photographers are not satisfied with just snapping the picture they are obsessed with making the picture. They want their work to stand out among the clutter.

Wolgang's "Abstract Pictures" does that for me. It encourages me to push farther into what I am passionate about and push the limits of what everyone else is just shooting.

















The following are two great articles on the works

http://www.americansuburbx.com/2016/01/the-non-political-implications-and-motives-of-wolfgang-tillmans-abstract-pictures.html 

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2010/jun/27/wolfgang-tillmans-serpentine-review-cumming

No comments:

Post a Comment