Sunday, August 31, 2014

Missy Griffis Weekly Post 1.2


Canale della Giudecca I, Venezia, 2007


Cuidrach, Isle of Skye, 2002


Dahshur, 2007


Sze Tsung Leong is a landscape photographer who has travelled across the world taking various pictures of different environments. The pictures above are from his Horizons series.

What I love about this series is that although there’s an obvious distance in geography and the different subject matter (from landscapes or cityscapes), the photos are all connected by the same horizon line. So, when you place the pictures side by side, they come together as an extended landscape. Aside from loving the unique creativity and thought that was put into this work, I interpreted a deeper meaning. The message I got from these was unity. We claim to all be so different from one another but when you look closely, we all have a common factor. Humanity. Now, whether or not this was his intended purpose for these photos, I’m not sure, but its how I chose to see it.


I want to try and integrate this idea of unity into my pieces of work, whether by “borrowing” his idea with horizon lines or another factor. It’d be a fun challenge to work with and I’m excited to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment