Sunday, August 31, 2014

Monica Turley- Weekly Post #1 (part 2)

Dita Pepe




Dita Pepe is a photographer from Czechoslovakia. Pepe is involved in her own personal projects as well as teaching portrait and fashion photography at the Institute of Creative Photography in the Czech Republic. These pictures display only three images from a series of one-hundred. Pepe created this series based on the thought, "who could I have been?". With this thought, she created the title and theme of these portraits as Self Portraits with Men

Pepe's main focus in this portrait study was to display how relationships can transform who a woman becomes. Pepe has embodied all the "what-ifs" and different paths that women can identify with. Even as a young woman, I can think about "what-ifs" in my life. All because of my own relationship, we are now married, have established our home at the beach, we share friends, we have a new baby, and I am pursuing my education. I identify myself and have become who I am because of it. It is easy to think that we are the ones who sculpt ourselves, but through this portrait series, it solidifies the fact that we are sculpted by our relationships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment