Sunday, September 15, 2013

Allan Lumagui Weekly Post


This summer I got the opportunity to work with international students from Slovakia. Due to them leaving the U.S.A this past Saturday, I decided to dedicate my weekly blog post to an artist from their home. Karol Kallay was born in Čadca in north Slovakia on the 26th of April 1926. He studied economy and law and started to work as a professional photographer in 1940. Two years later, he obtained his first award: a gold medal at a national exhibition of photographs in Bratislava. This was followed by an exhibition in Zaragoza, Spain. 
In 1954, he published his first book Slovenské rieky (Slovak rivers). From 1956 onward, he organized his own exhibitions. His photographs posted, mostly around the 60's & 70's are black and white. His style puts me on a visual time machine, transporting me back to that moment or scene. The shots that appear to be frozen are executed perfectly, the viewer can see the action and emotion from each of his objects. Looking at his photographs I can't help but try to pinpoint shutter speeds and f-stops used. Even the blurry shots are pleasing compositions. Slovakia has one of the highest unemployment rates in Europe, and I would've never guess that after looking through his albums. I see a very proud community with a very beautiful environment that surround them. I can't wait to visit.




No comments:

Post a Comment