Sunday, September 8, 2013

Ashly Mollienido: Weekly Post #3

 

I was first introduced to Ed Ruscha in my 3D class last semester by his artwork through literacy, which I now found out he did with gun powder. Cool, right? Well, our professor gave us three different words for us to keep, two of mine being ‘pussy’ and ‘3 forks.’ I don’t remember my third word, because really, what is more memorable than “pussy” and ‘3 forks?’ Some of my other classmates also received some other brash, absurd, and what you would think were completely random, words. I just could not imagine what his other artwork was like, so when I found him during my “search for an artist for my weekly blog” hunt, I was surprised that he was a photographer, as well. After reading about him, and looking through more of his work, his style is fed by the irony and unoriginality of the mass media, and he reflects those feelings through many of his pieces. 


What really caught my eye was his, “Hollywood Boulevard: Then & Now.” He had to have a clear thought process, along with great patience to capture Hollywood Boulevard in 1973 and then in 2002. Ruscha, with the help of his brother, drove down the North and South ends taking photos of each building on 35 mm color-negative film. Thirty years later, using a three person camera crew and the same type of equipment, he re-captured Hollywood Boulevard. It took three days to complete the job, as opposed to the eight hours it took thirty years prior. To see the growth in the trees in each year, really gave sense to the time frame it took to finish this project. Finally, the 4,500 black and white images and the 13,000 color images were able to be scanned and digitally composed into four panoramics. Ruscha made a great decision of choosing to do 1973 in black and white, and 2002 in color, which I believe was influenced by his view on urban life becoming stale and unoriginal. Through his choices of filters, he sent me through a time capsule. The black and white 1973 Hollywood seemed tasteful, and unique. None of the store signs resembled one another, all of them having their own style. Even the parked cars gave Hollywood Boulevard this classical and vintage feeling. In 2002, all of the store signs are plain, making it hard to even be able to differentiate them. Even some of buildings that did have the cool billboard style signs that made them stick out even more from the others, no longer had them.


After deeper research of Ruscha, I better understand his intentions and motives. I probably can now say I’m a fan of his work, however I can definitely say; the word ‘Pussy’ floating in 3D script is not one of my most favorites.   

Below is the link to  the video of the 12 miles of Hollywood Boulevard, Then & Now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KIvGMVhaPs


No comments:

Post a Comment