Sunday, April 5, 2015

Breotnie Nichols - Weekly Artist Post

Stacey Tyrell







           The series Backra Bluid by Stacey Tyrell features all portraits. This would mean that the shutter speed has to be above 1/60 so there will be no camera shake. Additionally, I believe she closed down on her aperture so only she is in focus. It appears as though in some scenes there is a separation between the foreground and background. This would be achieved by using a shorter lens, maybe around 18mm. The quality is really good so she definitely kept the ISO around 100. There is subtle light contrast in her photos where shadows delicately frame her face, arm and neck. Pops of color, like the blue blanket in the last picture, add interesting color contrast to her photographs. 

            In Stacey Tyrell's series Backra Bluid, which loosely translates to white blood, she dresses up as her Scottish, Irish, and English ancestors would have. Yes, all of the women in this series are Stacey Tyrell. Keep in mind that Stacey Tyrell is an African-Canadian so for this series she had to alter her skin tone and adorn wigs. She did this in order to enhance her Eurocentric features that are often ignored because of her skin color. This is all done to show that we are more alike than we think due to the fact that we are all hybrids of our past and present.

            I connected to this series more than I thought I would. Upon first glance I did not see anything special about this series. I assumed that the series was addressing the history of women. However, this was not the case. Stacey Tyrell is connecting with her ancestry that many people will not let her acknowledge. I connect with this because I too have struggled with my identity. I am an African American, Mexican, Irish, and Cherokee woman. However, I am only seen as a black woman. Whenever I mention that I am more than just black, I am faced with doubtful looks. It makes me feel as though I do not deserve to connect with my heritage, which is unfair considering how my white peers have the privilege of proudly stating their ancestry. Race is a complicated issue. You are either this or that; there is no in between. It is a ridiculous notion. I appreciate Stacey Tyrell for using her art to speak out about this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment