Sunday, April 12, 2015

Matt Thyssen - Weekly Artist Post

Walker Evans




1. I can't really speak much to the technical aspects of a 1920's photographer.  It's black and white photography, the landscapes with a deep depth of field, and the portraits with a shallower depth of field.  Most of these shots seem like they're either later in the day or earlier in the day.

2. The thematic intent is to show these rural areas in the Southern States during his time, 1920's and 30's. He takes photographs of a miner with skin blackened by coal, a lonely grave, and a rickety old church to really strike a certain emotion in his viewers.

3. I respond pretty well to this thematic intent.  My family was not in America yet at this time, my Grandfather was born in in 1930, and didn't move to the States until his late 20's, or early 30's, therefore I don't really personally relate to these photographs.  That being said, however, I have a deep respect for the working man, and these rural areas.  I think he does a good job with this set, and achieves his goal of striking a certain nostalgic emotion in his viewers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment