Sunday, October 25, 2015

Karissa Gilbertson post #11 for Scot Sothern and Muir Vidler for Monday October 26th

SS_03SS_05





SS_04

These Pictures from Scot Sothern and Muir Vidler reminded me of our project. Although these are not all with permission given, they are very interesting. Sothern and Vilder are at the Mindy Solomon Gallery which started October 23rd. These two artists both take pictures of people whom live life in their own way, outside of what could be considered sociability except-able. I did not pick the pictures by the artists. I picked the pictures that moved me the most.  If you want to see pictures by Vilder, please check the link above.

These pictures from above are all from Sothern's collection called Sad City. The first picture Martha, was taken by Sothern in 2012. After our last class discussion, I noticed that this picture had some strong colors I wouldn't have been able to pick up on before. An example of that would be the bright blue and white pole. With out knowing, I wouldn't have picked up on that before as being something the artist wanted, but it's clearly something wanted.  The colors in this picture from the lipstick to the yellow hat and the blue pole and even the time of day (usually morning time or early morning) the artist chose to take them at. Even if this wasn't staged, the colors were something that the artist chose to keep.


The second one, The Division, I chose because of a few factors, one, the man in the foreground almost looks out of time because he looks lost and with out modern comforts. It's almost as if he was looking for the past while glancing up toward the sky and thinking on a time that made his life better. Another reason is that the woman that is there is oblivious to the plight steps away from her or if she is aware of it, she is blatantly ignoring him which really hits me in the gut because we have all done this, but you have to look up sometime.  The last was because I remembered that my hand holding on the left is not strong, but I saw in this picture balance in the purple door and the yellow wall. That balance is interesting and contrasting colors. This is not only a heart wrenching picture but a lesson for me as well.

The last one made me stop dead in my tracks. Superman Dreams is the title and I am not sure what happened here but I find this one extremely tragic, let me to talk through this to explain why; When looking at a fantastic figure that is literally and figuratively above the world most of the time, when they are down, it's so tragic. I see the famous peoples behind him and get the wanting to be recognized someday and the set up is brilliant. It's the facial expression that makes me think of my dad. When he was paying bills one year and the whole year was so tight, something really bad happened and we were short with everything and he made that face like, what are we going to do, and how he felt like he let us down when he worked so hard all the time. That's the face of despair to me and it totally crushes me to see more people with that face.

Please check out these pictures. They're color scheme is beautiful and I did feel like I was moved more by the color ones rather than the black and white in this case.  Please keep tissues handy, these are moving works of art. (I may do a blog on just Muir Vidler next blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment