Saturday, February 20, 2016

Bri Picone - Weekly Post 5

Edward Burtynsky








1)  Burtynsky is concerned with our use and misuse of water and our role of reshaping the environment.  His  Water series addresses these concerns with his large scale photos of landscapes where water is scarce or absent, where water has shaped the land, where the land/water is in distress, and locations where humans have tried to control the water such as dams, step-wells, irrigation systems etc.

2)  I really enjoy Burtynsky's photographs.  His photos give us a view of the world that we don't see everyday.  There is a lot of power in his images because he takes his photos from high above, showing us how large of an impact that water (or lack there of) has on our environment.  I really enjoy his more abstract images because they really grab your attention and draw you in.

3)  If I was to address similar concerns to Burtynsky, I think I would like to visit natural landscapes that have been photographed 25 maybe 50 years in the past and record how they have been changed by humans.  I would display the images as diptychs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment