Monday, February 22, 2016

Carra Roots- Water

Edward Burtynsky





First of all I want to say thank you to Edward Burtynsky for showing things I would have had the chance of seeing. When first entering the exhibit, it blew me away. The size at which the photos were shown played a vital role on the impact made to the viewer. One could one feel as though they could enter into the photo. The detail was so that you wanted to touch the photo as if it were a painting. Some may have seen similar pictures before and thought about the beautiful landscapes, but these works has us to view the photo in different ways. 

I feel as though overall he achieved his goal. Edward, showed water in a plethora of ways. I know that I look at water as a pleasure or if it will always be there, that I never think of it ever being scarce. Never thinking of water as something that could be controlled or molded. The three pictures that I chose show water in three different forms: Control, Agriculture, and Waterfront. These stood out to me the most because they are composed well. 

In the first one, I really enjoyed we are placed in the center but not distracted by it. Water is showed in a calm state but when the dam works its out of control. In the second one, my eyes are drawn to the contrast being made in the land which is controlled and the rigidness of the natural land. Finally, I am drawn to the negative and positive space in the waterfront. Showing that even in its natural state, we still find ways to control it. 

Overall I feel as though a message was passed through, and is still relevant today. With the newly discovered Flint situation, I feel that this can be taken from such a broad measure to an intricate situation. I also think of Hurricane Katrina hitting New Orleans and the damage created there. Water is one of the most powerful forces, and also one which is most malleable. He showed that very well throughout the entire collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment