Sunday, February 28, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 7







So I absolutely love Vivian Maier. I remember that there was a time last year when I posted a photograph I had taken (of myself in a glass window) to Facebook and someone had commented on it describing it as "very Vivian Maier". I of course looked her up because I had never heard of her, and fell in love with her work immediately.

Here's the photo I just mentioned:


My personal favorite series that she's known for are her self-portraits. For a Photo 3 project, I wanted to recreate one of her self-portraits. The reason I love these and find them so interesting is because of the many different ways that she finds to include herself into the photo. Sometimes all we see if her shadow, whereas other times she's hidden in the reflection. What I love about her reflection photographs are the fact that you can focus on what's behind the glass and then switch your focus to her on the other side.

Obviously Vivian Maier does much more than these self-portraits though. She's really an amazing street photographer. I highly suggest looking at the site I linked with her name up top and going through her portfolio. Her work is very impressive to me and I think she has a great variety of both color and black and white photographs.


No comments:

Post a Comment