Sunday, February 21, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 6 (Part 2)




William Christenberry was born Tuscaloosa, Alabama in 1936 and currently continues photographing in DC. I chose this piece to talk about because I thought it was really powerful. As the viewer, we're unsure if there's any significance of the building in the top picture. It could be a worn down place that William walked by often as a child or it could just be random. Either way, I don't think that the significance matters though. The bottom picture is what makes the two so interesting in my opinion. It shows, over time, the natural destruction of the building. It's interesting to see how everything that was surrounding the building in the top picture seems to look the same in the bottom.




Joel Sternfeld was born in 1944 in New York, NY, where he continues working today. He graduated from Dartmouth college in 1965. What's interesting about this photo is that when I first walked up to it, the first thing I noticed was the fireman at the market. I'm not sure why this stood out to me upon first glance, considering the bright fire in the background seems to stand out after looking at it longer. The irony in the photo is what I love most about it. I think the colors are beautiful too. The way that the orange of the pumpkin and orange in the flames contrasts nicely.




No comments:

Post a Comment