Sunday, February 21, 2016

Diana Macaraeg - Weekly Post 6

Edward Burtynsky


Xiaolangdi Dam #1, Yellow River, Henan Province, China, 2011.

This photo might have been my overall favorite from his series. It helped prove the universal statement that every art fanatic says, "... to see art from a book or online is completely different than in person." The placement of this photo in the gallery allowed this to be seen from a farther perspective than those along the outer walls. It's an unbelievable size and to see everything in clarity was something I never seen. Billboards or anything of a large scale, I've never seen it to be that detailed. He proves in his photos he takes his time, regardless of the situation. It seemed to be a 3D photo from afar, and even up close also. I admire his framing and his way of capturing lines. Besides the motion of water shooting out, the two parallel walls on the bottom right and diagonal from another wall were greatly thought out.




Glacial Runoff, Skedidararsadur, Iceland, 2012.

I love Edward Burtynsky's use of colors. To have the dark colors from the background to be repeated back into the foreground, but yet separated by the white, keeps my focus going from front to back repeatedly. Its mesmerizing to follow the lines, to see it's natural soft form instead of harsh dividers and lines, helping with it's sense of motion. 




Seeing Edward Burtynsky's work in person compared to hearing reviews from other classmates doesn't compare. It was simply amazing to see his work in person. I think I could find myself staring at a photo for hours because there is always a new thing I could find when I would go back to a piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment