Monday, November 2, 2015

Max Goossens - Weekly Artist Post 12

Alan Powdrill




   In this set of photographs, Alan Powdrill focuses on the person he is photographing. Although the background is interesting, it is not the focus and it changes slightly between each image in the set. In this set of images, the subject is in focus with the background slightly out of focus making me believe that he is shooting with his aperture wide open. This setting is also allowing a lot of light to enter the image despite the overcast day.
   Alan Powdrill takes each of his photographs in pairs in this set of photos. He's doing this because he wants to show how people, although may appear without tattoos, can really be covered in them. Its interesting to the viewer that Powdrill does not fully control his background. He keeps the subject in the same space, and relatively same pose, but the background seems to add or lose different objects. This to me makes it seem that life is till happening despite the change of appearance.
   I enjoy Powdrill's work and the way that he captures his subjects. The lighting that is shown in each of the images is impeccable and brings each subject to life. I also enjoy the concept behind the series and how he is trying to show that even people you don't expect may have tattoos. As a viewer I am very interested to know if Alan Powdrill found these people in public places and was able to befriend them and get them to this state of openness, or if these people are models that he was able to place where he wanted them to be. All in all as I work on my portraits and even landscapes I will consider Alan Powdrill's style in each of my photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment