Sunday, November 29, 2015

Mayteana Colon weekly post 16

Garry Winogrand



1) Garry was a photographer from the 20's. He focused on the every day life of New York and its people. He photographed black and white. His subjects ranged from everyday citizens like women and construction workers to celebrities, athletes, and politicians. He photographs his subjects at different levels and distances. some are up close or zoomed in fairly close, some seem to be a few feet away almost detached from the scene.

2) In the first image regular people are sitting on a bench. There is something theatrical about this scene. It seems almost staged with every person appearing so animated. A range of emotions can be seen from the subjects in this image. In the second photo it may seem that the women looking to the right and smiling is the focal point but I find myself drawn the women who is looking off scene with a look of lost or deep thought. It draws my eye and makes me think and wonder what is she looking at or thinking. It seems like a rare intimate moment that Garry caught. The last image is very interesting. It is underexposed and taken at an off angle. The subject looks for lorn and melancholy. This image evokes a lot of emotion and really draws my eye.

3) I found these images interesting because I enjoy portraits that are unconventional. I have been experimenting with taking pictures of people on the street and them not entirely being aware that they are the focus of my lens so it is interesting to see these images and how beautiful they are. I also am drawn in by them being black and white. I find something very appealing about black and white images.

No comments:

Post a Comment