Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Weekly Post Missy Griffis

Helen Levitt





Helen Levitt was an American Photographer born on August 31st 1913. She was most known for her street photographer, however not popularly known. She dropped out of school to work for a local photographer and taught herself photography. During her career she worked with different photographers and film producers collaborating on many different projects and films. However she was very much into the arts and teaching children as well, children were one of her favorites to take pictures of.


Above are pictures from her series “Color” made from 1971- 1981, just three out of a many few that include the children on the streets of new york. My favorite part of these is that they do not look posed. She captured the life of these people fairly well and it makes me wonder more about the sujects themselves, and I also have a love for children as well. The last one is my favorite, I love the interaction between the two and it looks like the kids is tempted to jump down into the mans arms. But I love his smile. I constantly see kids with their parents or kids playing on the playgrounds I drive by and I’m always torn whether I should stop and take pictures, but I still haven’t gotten over that fear of approaching strangers. I hope to one day be able to capture these kind of pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment