Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Weekly Post Missy Griffis






“Looking. Lingering. Documenting.”

William Reagh is an American photographer that spent a majority of his life photographing Los Angeles over the years. Like a documentary, he took 40,000 photos from 1930’s to about 1990’s capturing the change in time. He called this series A Long Walk Down Town He was in love with Los Angeles. His picutres varies from people to landscapes and he would often return to some locations year after year, documenting their evolutions. If something was in the middle of construction or being taken down he wanted a picture of it. When taking his photographs, he got to his desired angles in different ways. “I would climb on stuff, those piled up streetcars. There was broken glass all over. He'd be off shooting. I'd climb. Back when you could do that sort of thing."


I love his dedication of documenting the same place over his whole career. That’s what intruigued me the most. I like the idea of returning to similar places over time to see the differences, perhaps favorite places of mine or hometowns. I would most like to attempt to try this technique and make it my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment