Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Beth Teller Weekly Post



 


Popova is a Russian based documentary photographer. The above photos are from a project on two drug addicted parents and their precious 2 year old baby. Popova received much flack for the project because she stood to the side and photographed it. The fact that Popova stated that there "can be love and affection in such families", which only added fuel to the fire. 
These photographs break my heart, along with many other feelings, none of which are pleasant. It infuriates me, but yet I can't seem to just see/read about it and move on. The fact that she can make such powerful images truly makes me evaluate my work. Even though I absolutely hate what Popova photographed, she was able to create such raw feelings from the images. I honestly know that I could never photograph anything like this, but I can incorporate the rawness in a way that will not make me go into momma bear mode. She truly did a fantastic job with catching the horrible times and some of the more tender times, as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment