Sunday, September 7, 2014

Olivia Smith Weekly Post 2

Ute Mahler




Ute Mahler is a German photographer who was very influential in East Germany. With her unique style Mahler captured many different topics people in Germany were facing like diversity and racial classes making photo projects out of it. After East Germany fell she started taking photographs of this tragic event which how she became very popular. Zusammenleben, meaning living together, was her famous series.

Mahler focuses mainly on capturing people in their natural setting. I find this intriguing because the pictures she takes are so lifelike and very interesting at the same time. I hope that I am able to try to incorporate this into my photography. She is able to walk up to someone off the side of the street of East Germany, get to know them for a little bit, then take what she learned and take that to her camera lens. She also has a unique old fashion vintage sense of style that I am really enjoying.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote about Mahler for my first post but I'm really liking your take on her biography and purpose.

    ReplyDelete