Sunday, September 7, 2014

Week 2 Weekly Post

Philip-Lorca diCorcia 




For this weeks post I discovered an artist named Philip-Lorca diCorcia, and found his photographs eye catching and interesting to me. In his series "Hustlers" I was drawn to the execution of portraying a part of society that many people do not talk about, and that is gay sex workers. His imagery in this series contains low lighting with great characters, and elements of design that force you to look throughout the entire image. I was especially drawn to the first image of the series because I recognize the location of where the image was shot. Since I have been to that area many times, it made me think back to when I was there and if I ever noticed guys "working" during those times. 

Each image contains a character that draws the viewer to question who he is, and why he is doing what he is doing. The narrative within each picture is strong and compelling. I particularly enjoy looking at images with a darker backstory and this series definitely fits into that. DiCorcia was born in 1951, in Hartford Connecticut. He received his M.F.A. from Yale university in 1979. He has shown his work internationally, to include, the Netherlands, China, Paris, and London. DiCorcia currently resides in New York where he teaches at Yale University. 

No comments:

Post a Comment