Sunday, September 28, 2014

Olivia Smith Weekly post #5




Viviane Sassen grew up in Africa and started capturing pictures of life in East Africa. Sassen won the International Center of Photography Infinity Award for Applied/Fashion/Advertising Photography in 2011. Sassen is well known for her contemporary style. A lot of her artwork is featured on The Great Leap Sideways, which is a website that was started from a tumblr blog. On there you can conclude that she never really works in series. If I could describe Sassen's work in one word is would be documentary.
Sassen likes to document her life around her. She grew up in East Africa so most of her images are from African families. She uses texture, color, and simplicity to make her images stand out from others. I also like the idea of her nothing working in series. Most people would disagree about how she doesn't have structure and how her images are all over the place on her blog, but I think it makes her unique. She doesn't stick to just one subject or one location, but instead she broadens her resources around her and takes full advantage of that. This is one thing I hope I can work into my brain process when I'm considering what images to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment