Sunday, January 25, 2015

Breotnie Nichols - Weekly Artist Post

Lise Sarfati










1) French photographer Lise Sarfati manipulates light to create a melancholy mood. This mood is created with the balance of shutter speed and aperture, which affects the exposure of the images.I would assume that in order to achieve this balance Lise Sarfati utilized a faster shutter speed, around 1/60 or above, with a larger aperture, which would attribute to the shallow depth of field.

2) A common theme in Lise Sarfati's work is despair. Her subjects appear to be caught up in their own thoughts and as a result are shut off from the world. It is interesting to note that the people in her photos are alone in the environment she has created. This creates a sense of isolation, which is another theme that is consistent in Lise Sarfati's work.

3) I appreciate the emotion that Lise Sarfati was able to create in her photos. I personally can relate to these images as they make me recall moments in my life where I have been truly depressed and felt as though there was no escape. I enjoy when I find artwork that makes me look inside of myself and is able to evoke strong emotions in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment