Saturday, January 31, 2015

Connor Woisard: Weekly Post Franck Bohbot




Franck Bohbot is a french photographer who resides in New York City. The three photos above are from his series titled "Cuts", a look at NYC's diverse barbershops. Its evident that in this series Bohbot makes the technical decision to use small aperture setting. I believe this is the case because in all his photos the depth of field is very deep in order to keep the person and the rest of the scene in focus. Shooting inside with such a small aperture I would also assume a tripod or some sort of external flash would be needed in order to maintain a high quality image without cranking up his ISO. 

Bohbot attempts to develop a relationship with people and architecture. In his series you his plays up this relationship with the barbers and in their shops. In the three photos above you can almost see how the barber reflects how they have chosen to develop the space they work in. I'm unsure if this is how decided to compose the image this way or if the reflection between the person and space was natural. 

The second photo really played to my personal appeal. Long before I had a serious interest in photography, I was always captivated with portraits that were close up to their subject but also taken at a wide angle to capture their environment behind them. I feel like this style adds to the photos "epicness" because at the forefront you have your subject and behind them you have a scene that almost feels like they have conquered it or mastered it in a sense. In Bohbot's second and third image I feel like I really see the relationship between the person and their space. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it other than "larger than life", "masters of their domain", and "epic". 

No comments:

Post a Comment