Sunday, January 18, 2015

Chevon McClenney- Weekly Artist Post

Zachary Scott





1. Blurring the lines among photography, painting and illustration, Zachary Scott used children and babies in a series to accompany an article in The New York Times, highlighting the work of psychologist Ellen Langer. These whimsical portraits, shot on a blue screen with post production compositing, create a colorful and comical statement on a somewhat serious subject.

2. In this series Scott along with the extensive studies of Langer, visually reveal that the age of the mind can and does effect the body. This perpetuates the " You're only as old as you feel" expression, and explains it as having results similar to the placebo effect. When initially viewing the photos out of context, I also found the series as an ironic play on the process of aging and similarities there are between being an infant and an aging adult.

3. I like that Scott's series prompted an audible response from me. I laughed. The saturated colors and the various environments are what drew me in further. After reading what the photos were about, I began to think about I can halt my own aging process with this type of thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment