Friday, January 16, 2015

Matt Thyssen - Weekly Artist Post

Peter Holliday



(1) Peter Holliday's technical decisions seem to involve shooting during dawn or dusk to capture better light. Despite being mostly landscape photos he always seems to include figure or object to add a touch of the real world to it. He also always seems to shoot in the fog.

(2) I think his conceptual and thematic intents are to capture the vastness and beauty of Iceland. I do think, however, that the addition of people and vehicles kind of resembles that this is not some faraway or fantastical landscape, but an accessible and inhabitable country. The addition of vehicles also shows how untouched Iceland is, as opposed to the cities, towns, and highway that clutter mainland Europe and the rest of the world.

(3) I respond very well to these choices.  Whereas I would personally prefer to see these as more pure landscapes, without the specks of people and vehicles, I do like how he added them for comparison.  I have always felt a kind of spiritual connection with Iceland, the landscapes, history, and culture, so I like seeing these images that show me how most of Iceland is actually untouched. 

No comments:

Post a Comment