Sunday, January 18, 2015

Lucas Suarez - What I Care About

There are two very important things that I care about in my life: my family and my dreams.

   First, my family will always be a major principle in my life. I was born in California and moved to Virginia when I was seven years old. When we moved across the country, my family was the first and only friends that each one of us had. Having left behind our closest family and friends in California, we moved to an area that each of us were not familiar with. I appreciate the move because if we had not moved, I would not be as close with my family. Often, people credit my family for not only being a close knit family, but also being very good friends to one another. My family are people I can go to with anything and they will tell me their honest opinion wether I like it or not. 
   
   Next, my desires of becoming a filmmaker are very important to me. When I first enrolled in college at East Carolina University, I was an English major with a focus on screenwriting. I have always wanted to become a filmmaker since I was a five years old and would watch Indiana Jones at my grandparents every time I would visit. Although, East Carolina did not offer a film program, I took classes that were similar to filmmaking so I could use my degree to take a step closer towards my goal. However, when I transferred to Old Dominion, I switched my major to political science because I felt that if I wanted to have a job after I graduated, I would need to have a degree in something that would be a little more intriguing than a film degree. It was not until I wrote a eight page paper on the economy of Peru, that I realized how much I despised political science and knew that if I would take one more government class, I wouldn't be able to take another semester of it. That's when I switched to a Communications major and took all film classes. Ever since having switched, I have been told countless times that getting a job in the film industry is hard. But, I always think back to that eight page paper on Peruvian economy and compare it to the eight minute documentary I made last semester and realize that I'm happier now than I was back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment