Saturday, January 31, 2015

Kailyn Dickason- Weekly Artist post 3

Pierre Verger









         Pierre Vergers work is about the daily life and traditions of 5 different continents people.  He uses his  photography in conjunction with his research of these people and their culture.  I feel like he uses a larger aperture because everything in the background is out of focus, purposefully so that one can concentrate on the main portion of the photo.  I also think that he uses a hand holding setting for  so that his pictures aren't shaky, possibly 1/60.
            Peter is an artist, an anthropologist, and so much more. In Africa he became titled Fatumbi, meaning one who was reborn for Ifa. He became so closely associated with the culture and the people, he published a few books on them and their culture.  He lived out the last years of his life, nomadic, and working towards protecting his research, and spreading it within the world.
          I chose Pierre because I really like people who study other cultures. I like knowing about other cultures, and I feel as though Pierre really captured the essence of these people.  These photos are also interesting to me because he has years of research behind them. I appreciate how into his art he is.  I also really like black and white photos, and I feel as though he really is a prime example of fine black and white photography.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment