Sunday, September 13, 2015

Artist post 7-Giovann Collazo

Giovann Collazo
Shane Rocheleau
9/13/2015
Digital Photography\

http://www.artnet.com/artists/irving-penn/




These photos were taken by the famous photographer Irving Penn. The first photo is a photograph of the great artist Pablo Picasso. Irving probably used a Nikon or Leica, and asked Picasso to look straight into the lens. Irving used the lighting and the collar of Picasso's jacket to conceal Picasso's face. The second photo shows three men with large masks and spears. They are mud-men of Papa New Guinea. Irving stood about 8 feet away from the subjects. The third photo shows a member of probably the most infamous biker gang in American history; the Hell's Angels. Irving took this photo from 8 feet away from the biker.(what a brave man).

Irving's photo of Picasso shows that the photo intends to be mysterious and tries to incite curiosity in the audience. What is Picasso thinking? Why is he looking at the camera this way? what are his intentions? The second photo Irving uses to spark an interest of the Mud-men of New Guinea in the audience. The third photo shows that Irving wanted to cause fear in the audience by capturing a Hell's Angel.

The first photo of Picasso makes me feel some excitement because I feel as though I am in the presence of Pablo Picasso. But I feel that he is hiding or concealing something from me. The way the photo is lit and the collar that is pulled over his face makes me feel very nervous as well. The second photo of the Mud-men got me a little interested in their culture. It reminds me of the 1930's film "King Kong" where the natives of the island worshiped a giant ape. Their masks make me feel as if they worship some otherworldly deity. I must say that the third photo makes me feel that this guy in the photo looks pretty cool. But knowing that this man is  a Hell's Angel, many would say that this man is actually a monster and a killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment