Sunday, September 20, 2015

Weekly Artist Post-11

Giovann Collazo
Digital Photography
9/20/15
 http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&ERID=24KL5357TF



These photos were taken by British photographer Martin Parr. The first photo shows fur black men and two of which are dressed in cowboy attire. Parr probably saw them and asked them if he could take their picture since they are staring straight into the camera. He probably used a Nikon or a Canon camera. The second photo displays a number of young women lounging and socializing in a public place; most likely a nightclub. He probably used a flash, as it is very dark in nightclubs, to capture everything in the shot. The third photo shows a rather burly man eating a turkey drumstick . Parr most likely asked the man to take a bite of the leg.

  Parr was trying to show the audience that there are actual black cowboys out there. Most people in society assume that all cowboys were and are white. However Parr proves this stereotype wrong with this photograph. In the second photo, Parr tries to show that the way nightclubs are not always jumping and full of dancing and laughter. Parr has managed to capture the boring side to "clubbing" and the boring photo is enhanced by the individuals' blank and lifeless expressions. Parr was trying to prove that America is the kingdom of the "Lard-asses'. He captures the man's enjoyment of the turkey leg as he rips cooked flesh from bone.

   The first photo shocks me a bit because I have never seen or heard of  a black cowboy. Seeing this image proves jarring to my eyes, and I don't know if I should feel ashamed or puzzled by this. The second photo doesn't surprise me at all. I have went to a few nightclubs and experienced everything in this photo. Most of the nightclubs I went to were just like this; boring. I know the third photo is supposed to make me feel ashamed as an american but I can't help but feel really, really, hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment