Sunday, September 13, 2015

Betty Gowans - Weekly Artist Post #5

Katrien DeBlauwer


Katrien DeBlauwer uses collage in her work. From what I can tell, it appears she uses film. The first Image has a slightly asymmetrical composition. The latter two are loosely on the thirds line of the composition. The images are black and white and the subjects are hidden in some way from the camera or in the composition.

The artists' choice to hide the subjects creates a sense of mystery. Her subjects are mainly women, possibly drawing attention to the focus of women's beauty by choosing not to show their faces. They employ a feeling of nostalgia in the way they are collaged. 

I like DeBlauwer's work for its ambiguity. The viewer may get loose ideas of what is going on with the subject, but it is largely up in the air. There is a multitude of stories that could unfold from the images she produces and I really enjoy work that makes you wonder the more you look at it. I love that the more I look at the images, the less sure I am of what is going on behind her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment