Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Simone McPhail- Weekly Artist Post

Ahndraya Parlato & Gregory Halpern



This weeks post contains art from two artists, Ms. Ahndraya Pelatro and Mr. Gregory Helpbern. These pictures are all in Portrait orientation which is an interesting choice to me seeing as two of them are landscape photographs. The last two of these photos are very rich in color pallet and the first has many muted colors in the buildings that might not pop if they were on top of a clear blue sky. The choice of a slow shutter speed in the last photo to capture motion creates an interesting view of an otherwise scenic area. The third picture is hard to make seeing as the sun is not and the streetlights are hard for a camera to read, and it seems theres another source of light as well however the colors and framing choice are what strike me the most here.

Two of the photos are so vibrant in color and one so muted. I enjoy the way these artist use what would normally be a very scene "Facebook header picture" and turn it on its side choosing a certain type of day and adding and adding motion to the space. The portrait is interesting here too again the framing choice in this shot attracts me. I think its the inclusion of the light and the side of the two houses. not because he/she has to include those things to capture those people waiting at the bus stop because their could be more people outside of the frame on the right and she/he could've panned right to capture them but he/she chose this framing for a reason.

I enjoy the different techniques employed in these three photos. Light and color is executed perfectly in these photos. I enjoy when artists explore motion, motion in an otherwise still place was in interesting choice that takes work to execute effectively (without looking like an accident). Im also exploring framing in my own work so looking to these artists helps me understand how to be responsible for all that is in my viewfinder.

No comments:

Post a Comment