Monday, March 30, 2015

Grace Herion - weekly artist post

Melissa Catanese



So this post is very different from all of my other posts because this "photographer" did not actually make these photos. She is was is called a "vernacular photographer." She finds photos, collects them, possibly edits them, and arranges them in a way to tell a story or narrative.

The story she is telling with these images is unclear to me, and she doesn't really say what it is in the interview. However, it is intriguing to me the technique and reason behind this type of photography. When she talks about her methods and her years of working with another vernacular photographer, it really sounds more like hoarding than productive work.

I love the idea of collecting interesting images and interpreting them in completely your own way, regardless of or with ignorance of their original history or intent. Catanese even uses the word "liberating." It is a completely different way of looking at photography that I never considered. However, I am not seeing a clear narrative with these photos so that is confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment