Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Grace Herion - weekly artist post

Casey Aletheia



Unfortunately there were only two photos posted in this series publication, but I thought the photos were so worth seeing that I wanted to do my weekly artist post on this artist anyway. This artist, Casey Aletheia, uses underexposed photos in what looks like a camera that is not digital. I believe he also uses after effects to create the darkness on the edge of the photos.

Aletheia uses his photos to bring awareness to aboriginal cleansing and kidnapping in Australia. The individuals he photographed had been victims of kidnapping from their homes and forced into labor for white people in order to promote a "white Australia."

I found these images deeply moving and also shocking because I had never heard of this issue before, so it seems the artist's intention was achieved in this particular case. The photos are dark, sad, and a little scary to me. The subjects looks as if they are being erased.

No comments:

Post a Comment