Sunday, September 11, 2016

Hannah Zach - Artist Post 3



1) For this project, Canadian Italian artist Tony Luciani made pictures of his elderly mother who moved in with him after she became unable to care for herself.  All the images are shot in black and white with heavy contrast to show her wispy gray hairs, freckles, and wrinkles from aging.

2) Luciani was trying to capture the beauty in his mother's age and new found dementia. As well as the loneliness that comes with living for such a long amount of time. His mother out lived all her friends and loved ones besides him. Drawing inspiration from her,  what started out as an attempt to capture the light that was falling on her face became something so much more. His mother became alive again when posing for these pictures.

3) Tony Luciani's work really spoke to me because of the way he portrayed his mother. At first, looking at the photos, I was not aware of the fact that the women in the portrait is the photographer's mother. I enjoyed the pictures because I connected with them. Glancing at the photo of his mom looking through the binoculars made me laugh and think back to funny things my own 93 year old great grandmother would do. The others reminded me of when my great grandmother would complain of being lonely and depressed and when she would reminisce about when she was younger. 



No comments:

Post a Comment