Sunday, September 18, 2016

Virginia Goode Artist Post 5


 
 

 
1. Herman started photographing Stephanie and Julia in 2005. There is a four year age difference between the sisters. The most recent picture in series was taken in May of 2016. Time is very evident in a lot of Herman’s work.

2. Family and friends are a big influence on Herman’s work. Her pictures have a closeness to them but it’s not a typical closeness. In these particular scenes she shows the bond between individuals in a spatial sense. Herman portrays how strong the bond is without revealing much at all in the images. Sometimes less definitely is more.
It’s routine for her to come back and make pictures of the same people in different stages of life. In Stephanie and Julia, I can see how they both have changed. There are a couple photos where I could no longer tell who was who anymore.

3. I appreciate this set of pictures in particular because it reminds me a lot of me and my younger sister. This series of images simultaneously shows us how different they are and how similar they are.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment