Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Chevon McClenney- Weekly Artist Post









Los Angeles based photographer Damon Cesarez, was prompted to create a body of work specifically exhibiting the 1 out of 5 young adults, who have returned home because of financial issues or to pursue higher education to reach specific goals. A situation that he is all too familiar with. The Series called Boomerang Kids, was shot solely in the United States, over eight states and fourteen cities, including his own hometown.

After looking at the entire series, it seems as if Cesarez used a mix between documentary style and a bit of staged environmental portraits. Although the photos seem to be lit only by ambient light, there are shadows on walls and faces that would allude to maybe a small strobe or off camera flash. Seeing the subjects looking every bit of capable adults yet in very child-like, juvenile settings is what makes these images interesting. Each of his subjects simultaneously emits on one hand a feeling of hope, while still maintaining this hopelessness. 

The quest to have the American dream, career, family and possessions, has driven this group of young adults into a cycle of wanting to achieve more, all the while willingly putting themselves into financial distress. With the rising cost of education and the 2008 economic slump, this group of "Millennials" has found it the hardest to bounce back. I know because I am one of them. I graduated from VCU with BFA, only when I got into the real world, there were few jobs to be had. I worked in DC for six years in management and could not shake the pull of a more creative career and future. I resigned from my position, forfeited a great salary, benefits and paid vacation because what's more important to me is that I am happy and fulfilled. So here I am, back in school, spending more money to get into a more sought after skill of Graphic Design.


No comments:

Post a Comment