Saturday, February 7, 2015

Kailyn Dickason-Weekly Artist Post

Iona Cirlig













Iona Cirlig  uses her exposure and her shutter speed to capture poverty in Romania. In her images above, I would assume that the top picture was on a tripod, or taken somewhere after 1/100th of a second, because of how still the hind legs of the goat in the photo are. In the second photo, it looks like there is a small bit of noise, and its not as clear as it could have been. I feel like she could have used the shutter speed a little differently to get a clearer image, or adjusted the aperture. In the third phot it looks to be at a handheld speed, and it looks to maybe a tiny bit over exposed. I personally really like how she gives her photos an eerie feeling with the lighting.
       Cirlig is an artist who wishes to get the word out about Romanians in poverty, and communism. She has a good eye for giving photos a wishful and hopeful feel. Cirligs work has been sampled from 2 of her collections, the top photo from Post-Industrial stories, and the last two from Young Mothers. Both collections, if not all, fit along with her theme of poverty in Romanian.
         I chose Cirlig because I enjoyed the way she made an innocent enough photo feel very dark and eerie. I like the way she composes her subjects, and leaves an air of mystery to her pictures. I also really appreciate the lighting and the morbidity in some of her series. All together, I am somewhat excited to see her work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment