Monday, February 23, 2015

Matt Thyssen - Weekly Artist Post

Andrew Fladeboe




1) This set was shot entirely outdoors, so I think it's safe to assume that Fladeboe's technical decisions include a low ISO, a quick shutter speed, and narrow aperture for deep depth of field. The brilliance in this set is found in the positioning of the dogs. Portraits are easier when your subject can communicate with you, but when your subject only comprehends a brief list of commands, it's harder to get the shot you want.  Fladeboe does a great job with that in this set.

2) In our modern, American society, it's hard pressed to find an individual who thinks of a dog as an employee.  Out of all the people we encounter, the amount of people who would even have the tiniest, remote thought of using a dog for work is impossibly slim.  Dogs are companions, they're friends, they're pets, or even trophies, but how can a dog work for you?  The rural inhabitants of New Zealand have a totally different approach.  Now, I'm not assuming that they don't see their dogs as friends and companions, but they can also offer an incredible amount of assistance in a rural environment.  Here the artist has a double edged sword, he portrays the incredibly beautiful landscapes of New Zealand, but also subtly hints at the lifestyle of its inhabitants through these portraits of their dogs.

3) I respond well to this set.  When we as men first started to domesticate wild canines, we realized all the potential they had.  I've grown up with dogs my entire life, and although I'm not a farmer, or never used a dog for work, I can see them being incredibly useful if the need is there.  I don't think primitive man wanted to put little bootsies on his Chihuahua, or give his Poodle a fancy haircut, and I think this more primal representation of domesticated canines is different to what we see in suburban America.  I'm all for primalism and returning to our roots, so I think these shots are very effective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment