Sunday, February 22, 2015

Simone McPhail - Weekly Artist Post 6




Eri Morita

My artist this week is Eri Mortia, she seems to use available light to highlight her subjects which plays into the tone of everyday life that runs throughout this photo series. All three photos are high in quality leading me to believe the ISO might be set at as low as possible. In the third photo I've posted Mortia uses a shallow defy of field sort of highlighting the pony rather than the girls playing which is an interesting choice to me. I believe, overall her technical choices have created pictures that reach her thematic goals. 

Mortia explores her children's safe, sheltered and organized lives compared to her childhood that was comprised of roaming Tokyo streets. There are a few things that interest me about this photo series. I love the colors and the subject matter. I also noticed that a lot of young people in these photographs have casts on which at first just kind of made me chuckle for some reason, but then I began to think about the theme of these photos which is how "safe" safe these children's lives are. these casts kind of represent to me that no matter how safe, structured, and sheltered a child is, they'll find a way to be a child and get into things that make childhood one of the best parts of life. 

I enjoy the choices of deep depth of field when she uses it as well as the shallow depth of field in the third photo. I also enjoy the usage of available light. I think exploring childhood is becoming one of my favorite photo themes because childhood has innocence, potential, and optimism that inspires me. Its also interesting to me to see a photographer's portray childhood rather than just home pictures of children  on Instagram. 

No comments:

Post a Comment