Monday, February 23, 2015

Weekly Artist Post - Matt Thyssen

Andrew Knapp




1) In this set (named Finding Momo), Andrew Knapp takes advantage of size, color, and positioning to hide his dog, Momo, in different scenes. Once again, I think it's brilliant how he manages to hide his dog, who has a mind of it's own, but can't really communicate. Whenever I've tried to position a dog to shoot, it usually runs off after a couple seconds.  His use of discipline to hide the dog in these different scenes (in perfect spots, too) is just genius.

2) The conceptual intent behind this set is mostly game-like. It's a fun set, where the viewer's natural instinct is to stop and try to find the dog.  It doesn't take too long, but it's a fun little game.  On top of that, however, he does a great job of setting up and portraying the scene. Each one of these shots would be just as beautiful without the dog, but hiding the dog within takes them to an entirely different level.

3) I like this set. I don't usually get into the "fun" photography, but I do think these photos are really clever.  Each photo in the set made me stop for a couple seconds and look for the dog, even if that wasn't my original intent.  I think if the dog wasn't in the pictures I would have just scrolled by (despite them still being good photos), but that little addition makes this set what it is, and it appeals to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment